I met with my oncologist yesterday. I will tell you that walking into the Oncology department isn't as emotional as it used to be. I still remember the first day there. Just seeing the huge letters
ONCOLOGY dept. on the wall just made me feel sick. I remember saying to my husband, "This is not a department I thought I would be sitting in for a long time."
On the brighter side, I think the nicest and funniest people are in the waiting room for oncology. Probably because most of them are over the age of 70 and say whatever they want. Yesterday, one such older man blurted out, "Does anyone here want to arm wrestle me while we all wait?". See what I mean? Cool people. One time a gentleman asked where he could get such a fancy wheelchair as the one I was in that day. I tried to explain to him that I had borrowed it from the clinic and it wasn't mine. He continued to ask me about the design and how I liked it. I'm not sure he heard me or understood it wasn't mine. So I talked with him as though it was and told him all the features I like about it. He decided he wanted one like it too. I changed the subject and asked him about himself. Found out that he fled from captivity from his communist country as a young man. His brother was caught and tortured by his oppressors but lived to escape to another country. His story continues and I was fascinated in all he had been through. He is now in their 80's and finally living the American Dream. I was dumbfounded by the extent of his life's experiences. And now he was facing cancer but was just so thankful for life. I could go on and on about the cool people I have met in the waiting room there. I was so refreshed by yesterday's arm wrestle challenge. I am proud to have joined in the ranks of 'cancer patient' with these amazing people.
And for some good news.... My scans came back clear. No new suspicious nodes. One word sums up my day. Gratitude.
1 comment:
That is so cool! What an amazing group of people. :)
Post a Comment