Can't stop me now..

Can't stop me now..

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bio hazzard

I have wanted to know what became of my leg once it was detached from my body. Partly because of curiosity and partly because I really to feel a loss without it.It isn't like I lost a toe or something. It was a large piece of me that I will not see again. It is a weird thought to me.  Anyway, I was able to talk to a friend who is in the medical field and had him walk me through the adventure my leg went on after leaving me. Here is what I learned. First, leg was detached and placed in a bio hazard bag where it was carried down to the lab to await biopsy. I wonder what the pathologist thought when opening the bag to remove a leg and foot. I did make sure my toenails were freshly painted and my leg was cleanly shaved. So then after the biopsy my leg ended up with the bio waste and mingled in a pile of tissue, fat, after birth and all sorts of bodily waste. Then an outside company picks up all the waste and takes it to a location where it is most likely incinerated and disposed of. How would you like to have that job. And what kind of person ends up in that line of work? Interesting to think about.
I now finally feel satisfied at the journey my leg has taken. I know it all sounds gross and  quite meaningless to everyone else but me. I don't miss the pain my foot caused me but I do feel incomplete.

3 comments:

Leslie B said...

interesting to know...and how thoughtful of you to shave your leg and paint your toenails. :)

Kimberly said...

Really, really fascinating--I'm serious. Your foot and leg was with you from birth, so I imagine it's difficult to think of it as somewhere else. This post did crack me up, though.

Lisa said...

It IS interesting information. I don't know how many people really think about what happens to that bio stuff that is no longer needed.