After that last post I thought I would go ahead and share this experience.
My youngest child has health struggles and early in his life we were still learning what those where. He often had to be admitted on life support (4 times now) to help him continue to breathe when he couldn't do it on his own. He has had many ambulance rides and even got to go in the fancy helicopter to get him to the hospital. Anyway, this means my husband and I have spent far too many hours in hospitals. On one such stay, before we did the switch off for the other person to go home, we went down to the cafeteria to get some lunch. The cafeteria is in the basement tucked away in the far corner. Just past the cafeteria is a sign reading "Decedent Affairs". I said, "Decadent Affairs?? Wow, that sounds fancy. You must have to be someone special to eat there." Well this joke has continued through our many years and the trips we have made back to the hospital. It was years later that I was talking to a friend who uses the same hospital and he said, "Don't you think it kind of weird where the cafeteria is located?" I said, "Yeah, it's way down in the basement like a little food dungeon. Maybe we should sneak into Decadent Affairs sometime and see what the VIP's eat." He then replied, "You mean Decedent affairs? As in Deceased. As in the Morgue??" Oh my gosh. What a dork I have been all these years. Well, at least it made for some fun laughs on our previous visits.
The last time I have been down to the cafeteria was the night of my leg surgery. We went down to get a bottled water and as we passed that familiar sign once more I told Ken, "I don't want to be a special guest there." I will wait many years to go in that special room. But I'm pretty sure there is a VIP section reserved for bio hazard waste that my leg has sat at.
1 comment:
You're so funny! And was it only 4 times that your little guy got rushed to the hospital on life support? It seems like it was so much more.
Anyway...I like your interpretation of the sign better than what it really is. I just wouldn't like to think about that while I ate.
Post a Comment