Can't stop me now..

Can't stop me now..

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Coming Home

Once a year the there is a day set aside as 'Deaf Day' in the temple. Many Deaf friends from LA to Riverside and sometimes Arizona come to visit and spend the whole day in the temple. I have been fortunate to be an ASL ordinance worker for the past 10 years now. I have not been back to work at the temple in the last year so I was excited to be back among old friends today. Only a few knew of my cancer since many don't live in the immediate area. I can't express how good it felt to be using my hands and signing with old friends. It truly felt like coming home. I love my Deaf friends! There is no guile or false pretenses. Just sincerity and love. I had moment when my "Chemo Brain" caught up with my hands and I stood clueless to what I was just saying, or my hands would freeze while I recalled what sign I was looking for. But all in all, we understood each other. I was glad I didn't lose that part of my life and I am able to still serve in the temple. What a wonderful day it was.

3 comments:

Leslie B said...

Kari, I am amazed at all of the service you do. You are truly an inspiration. Love ya!

Lisa said...

I'm glad you were able to get back to the temple and doing what you really love to do.

Kimberly said...

I was just wondering whether you had gotten back to signing at the temple--so glad!