Can't stop me now..
Thursday, September 22, 2011
I'm keeping my quarters
I was cleaning out the car and found some quarters under the back seat. It reminded me of our fun trip with the kids. It was the first trip my mom has taken with us. We would love for her to come with us more often but because she works full time and because we don't have enough seats in our car, we have not been able to go anywhere all together. Anyway, she came prepared for the long drive. She gave each kid two rolls of quarters and a pencil pouch to keep them in. If they whine, crab, yell, fight, poke each other, or any other annoyance then she takes a quarter back. Whatever they are left with during the trip they can spend on anything they want. It was like magic. We made it all the way to the Utah border before one quarter was taken. It was great. When one would say, "Hey mom, Can we get ________?" I would say, "Sure. You can spend your money on whatever you want." Well, I didn't anticipate that the older kids would realize that the little trinkets weren't worth spending their money on and so they waited for a bigger purchase. The younger child caught on to this and also decided to save her money. It made for some grumpy moments when I was heard saying, "Sure. You can have that. Just grab your money and you can buy it." I then had to tell nana that she couldn't give in to their smiling little faces and sneak them an extra dollar. As a result, they all arrived home with all their money in tact. Never finding that great bigger item worth buying. Crazy kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a great idea!! I'm sure they're saving up for something really cool. Those kids sure have one awesome nana...and the best mom ever! (I think they have one aunt that's pretty cool as well...and you better know which one that is. :) )
What do you mean just ONE aunt that's pretty cool?!? ;)
That is a great idea. I'm sure my kids could learn something from that even at their very young age...I'll have to remember it next time we take a LONG trip in the car.
Post a Comment