Can't stop me now..

Can't stop me now..

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Casting call

Finally some good news. I got casted for my leg! I have chemo all next week while they are building my leg. The following week I will go for my next fitting to see if anything needs adjusting. Then it will be another week until the final leg is done. I have had a little bet going (with myself) to see if  I will be able to actually walk in to my last chemo appointment. It is too close to call yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other day as we sat at your table together you told me of a conversation you had with someone who had finished construction on beautiful new home in Texas. In your conversation with them regarding the fulfillment of their dream, they mentioned to you how the heat and humidity in Texas makes a woman's skin beautiful and soft and enhances their outward appearance.

You looked down at your hands with the callused palms and knuckles, hands that you have used to crawl as you went about the daily tasks of caring for yourself and your family for the last three months because you were unable to walk with only one leg....and you wept. You told me through your tears that this person and probably many others would look at the condition of your skin and be disgusted.

I told you that calluses were medals of honor and should be worn with pride. They show selflessness and determination, and your Heavenly Father holds a special place for all those women who have earned them. Those walking to Zion alone, those working along side their husbands to create a home in the wilderness, and those who build the kingdom of God by moving mountains through their hard work and faithfulness, one teaspoonful at a time.

Sister Marjorie Hinckley described the condition in which she hoped to arrive in heaven:

“I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk’s lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden. I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”

I love you. Mom

Passey grandparents said...

Dear Kari,
Your mom has just written some very powerful words. I hope you realize what an amazing example you are to so many people. We are very proud of you and think about and pray for you constantly. We're so glad to finally hear some good news regarding the new leg! Keep smiling and don't ever give up; you have come so very far.
Love you all,
Aunt Betty and Uncle Gordon

janyce said...

Im so happy for you!I LOVE your blog,you are going to have to teach me how to do it, I need to start one for Trevor, luv u girl!

Leslie B said...

Ok...so your mom made me cry. What a great example you are to me, Kari. I do have to say though...heat and humidity in Texas doesn't make a woman's skin beautiful...however much I want you to believe it. :) Maybe all the constant "glistening" we do just makes us glow.

Love ya! And yea for making wonderful progress. My friend has a "mixture" she said her aunt uses in Mexico to treat cancer. It's a mixture of Aloe Vera, honey, and tequila....tell me if you're ever up to trying it. :)