Can't stop me now..

Can't stop me now..

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Better skip the garnish


Here is my free information on what Neutropenic means. About 10-14 days after your first dose of chemo is when your white blood count is at its lowest. This is when your body is most in danger of developing a fever from any bacteria or infection that you are exposed to. So for those days I have been good to stay at home and not go out to public places. I don't let my friends come over, or the kids' friends. I wear a mask when the kids are home and Kenneth has even slept on the couch so I am not in personal contact with anyone. Well, even with all our precautions some germ got in my system and I got a fever and that is why I ended up in the hospital after the last two rounds. But here is my interesting fact. When I would get my food in the hospital it was always stamped with "Neutropenic Diet. No Garnish". So, of course I had to ask the nurse what was wrong with the garnish.
Any guesses?? ........


 I can't eat anything Fresh. That means no salads, no fresh vegetables, no fruit, no raw nuts, and no raw meat (not a problem with that one). What???? I have been trying to eat as healthy as I can and that included lots of fresh fruit and vegies. I was very proud of myself actually at how good I was eating. What the heck?? Well, since fresh produce can contain trace amounts of bacteria, it is a risk to eat it. I wish someone would have mentioned that. Oh, perhaps I should have gone to the "Getting ready for Chemotherapy" class I opted out of. (I didn't want to sit though a whole class telling me how I was going to practically be poisoned to death for the next 3 months). Oops.
So lets hear it for overcooked and processed foods!

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

I never would have guessed. So, oranges bad and twinkies good, huh? Crazy.

Leslie B said...

Wow! You're learning a lot. Is it nice to know you at least don't have to worry about trying to eat healthy for a little while? maybe?? i guess that means more Diet Cokes and burgers from in-n-out...no lettuce and tomatoes of course.

Kari said...

How about no lettuce or tomato. Double the cheese!

Leslie B said...

Awesome! I want one! Guess what I heard today? They're building an in-n-out right here in our home town. My honey's already in line. :)

suzanne said...

You and Todd... his doctor told him last year to limit his intake of green leafy vegetables! Since when do doctors tell you things like that! Well, enjoy the opportunity!! (and let me know when you want a box of See's!!)

Jan said...

Can you say "nadir"

http://www.chemocare.com/whatis/what_is_nadir.asp

Do fruits that are "wrapped up" by nature appeal to you? Oranges, tangerines?

Alina said...

Fruits and vegetables are always good. But cut away any damaged or bruised areas on fresh fruits and vegetables before eating.

http://www.ecancerchemotherapy.com/chemotherapy-diet.html