Can't stop me now..
Monday, January 3, 2011
I need Marge
Marge is a nurse specializing in PICC lines. She works in the outpatient center but sometimes comes to the chemo suite. She can do it all. When I first met her was the day I got my PICC line placed in. I had spent 4 hours at the hospital for a 30 min procedure. This is when I passed out during the procedure and they had to start all over. It was just a mess. Well in the afternoon I met with my oncologist and told him my heart was fluttering. He ordered to have the line pulled back a bit. That is when I met Marge. She scared me. Kinda tough looking and stern. She looked at my x rays and said it looked just perfect but would do what the doctor ordered. She scared me that day but I got the line repositioned and felt much better. I saw her again during last chemo round. My line was tough to get fluids to flush through so the nurse said, "I'm going to call Marge to come down and help." "No!" I protested. Surprisingly the nurse said "Why?" Well I couldn't say 'oh that is because she scares the crap out of me.' So I just said "Oh, I'm just nervous". Well Marge came down and worked her magic and my problems were solved. Now, I'm starting to like Marge a bit more. Maybe I just need to peel back her tough layers. Last week when I had a bandage change (every week I have to have the bandage changed around my PICC line), it was Marge who changed it. I asked her how she got interested in specializing in PICC lines because it is the last thing I would want to to. I'm a bit phobic about IV lines and stuff. She told me they were going to teach nurses to place the PICC lines and she was the only woman nurse to volunteer to learn. That is because they were practicing on the inmates and the men's prison. Oh my gosh! She spoke with love and concern for these inmates. And then I started to love Marge! She is tough! but she loves her job and works hard at it. This weekend at the hospital they couldn't get my PICC line to work. After hours of trying to de-clot it they were about to pull the line out and start a new one. All I could think was.. I NEED MARGE!!! I love her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awww, that is sweet. How did the story turn out?
Post a Comment