A few people have asked me if I finally got the PICC line to work or if the have to replace it. So here is the end of the story.
The doctor had cleared me to go home. My white blood counts had reached an acceptable level so I could go. After 2 doses of de-clotting medicine and 2 hours of trying and failing at getting the blood return, my nurse said, "This is our last try and you will have to discuss with your doctor tomorrow if he wants you to pull the line and have another on placed." She attached the empty syringe and pulled it back. Nothing. She tried a few times. Nothing. So she left it attached while she went to inform the doctor. My mom was there to drive me home and I told her, "No way am I getting another line placed." So I proceeded to pull back the syringe myself to get a blood return. My mom said "Don't do that. She is going to catch you and you are going to get in trouble." I continued determined to get it to work. And then I screamed, "It worked!!!! I see blood!!" I buzzed the nurse and excitedly told her. She said "You rock! Now let's get you out of here." When she came in the room I told her that she couldn't bust me because she was the one who left the syringe attached so we would go down together for this. We were both happy and I was discharged to go home. Today the line worked perfectly. Small miracles are the best!
2 comments:
Kari, you are such an awesome example to all! Maybe you should think about going into nursing when this is all over - you might even be a bit like Marge, but softer on the outside at least. I love reading your blog, as I can just visualize all you're going through. You write beautifully and have continued to show such courage! Love, Aunt Betty and Uncle Gordon
oh you crack me up! "we're both going down together." Love you, Kari!!!
Post a Comment