Can't stop me now..

Can't stop me now..

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What does potassium do?

So my blood work shows that I am low on potassium so I am taking supplements for that. What does that mean? What does potassium do anyway? I dont even know. I should research this. All I know is that the pharmacist said I couldnt lay down for 30 min after taking the pills. Why? Now as I sit and wait the time I envision the pills burning a hole through my throat on the way down. Can potassium do that?  I need to eat more bananas.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Potassium is really, really vital for celluar metabolism. Muscsles need it. Your heart is a muscle. You get the idea. If it's low or high it messes with you.

Jan said...

http://www.chemocare.com/managing/hypokalemia-low-potassium.asp

Jan said...

Yaaaay! Potatoes are high potassium too. What are your fav mode? I love twice baked and gooped up mashed potatoes (you know the ones: sour cream and cream cheese added. 'Nuf said).

Unknown said...

Potassium is vital in electrical conductivity of the heart. When I worked dialysis we watch K levels very closely. You can have a heart attack with a high or low potassium level. Tomatoes, orange juice, potatoes especially the skins, dried fruit are high K foods, suprisingly banana are not. Kidneys usually control the level of K preventing it from peaking. However, if you are deficient in K you can take K pills and eat a diet rich in K. Kidneys have no way of pulling K "out of storage". Hang in there Kari-you are going to know so much when this is all behind you.